FUNDAÇÃO DE AMPARO À PESQUISA DO ESTADO DE SÃO PAULO, established by Law nº 5.918, of October 18th, 1960, with headquarters at Rua Pio XI, 1500, Alto da Lapa, São Paulo, SP, enrolled in CNPJ/MF under nº 43.828.151/0001-45, herein represented according to article 11, “a” of Law nº 5.918, combined with its General Rule approved by Decree n° 40.132, of May 23, 1962, by its President and legal representative, Prof. Dr. CELSO LAFER, hereinafter referred to as FAPESP in the exercise of the powers delegated by Act of the Governor of the State of São Paulo, published in the Official Gazette of the State, of June 21, 2010; and GLAXO-SMITHKLINE BRAZIL LTDA - GSK a company duly organized under the laws of Brazil, with registered offices at Estrada dos Bandeirantes, 8464, Jacarepaguá, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, registered at CNPJ under the number 33.241.743/0001-10,here represented by CESAR RENGIFO hereinafter referred to as “GSK”,
WHEREAS GSK is a company which develops manufactures distributes and sells medicines for human use around the world and intends to work in partnership with FAPESP to engage in academic research in the State of São Paulo, Brazil, and thereby both benefit from and contribute to Brazilian science while furthering GSK’s long-term business interests; and FAPESP is the principal funding agency for academic research of the State of São Paulo and wishes to increase the academic research participation in São Paulo of foreign high-technology companies, and in particular, to promote the active participation of GSK in academic research in São Paulo.
Now, therefore, GSK and FAPESP intend to cooperate, through the Research Partnership for Technological Innovation.
GSK intends to contribute to this joint effort as follows:
1. Provide financial support of a value to be defined.
2. Specify topic areas for research of interest to GSK and appropriate to university research in São Paulo.
3. Cooperate with FAPESP in the publication of requests for proposals (RFP) and in the selection of research proposals to be funded.
4. Provide collaborative technical contribution to the work through GSK.
5. Endeavor to build good and long term relations with the academic research community in the State of São Paulo.
FAPESP intends to contribute to this joint effort as follows:
1. Provide 1:1 matching financial support for GSK contributions.
2. Cooperate with GSK in the writing of requests for proposals, in provision for certain GSK intellectual property rights, and in the selection of research proposals to be funded.
3. Organize and lead the Request for Proposal - RFP process to generate research proposals for review.
4. Administer grants to Principal Investigators as selected jointly by GSK and FAPESP including reporting of results.
5. Foster and promote good relations between the academic research community in the State of São Paulo and GSK.
GSK and FAPESP hereby signify our intent to execute a formal agreement enabling this joint effort by the effective date. This letter of intent is a non-binding document.
While without definitive legal obligation, it summarizes the principal terms of a proposed agreement which is intended and under development between FAPESP and GSK.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, each of the Parties hereto has caused this Letter to be executed in duplicate originals.