A collaboration between the Danish Council for Strategic Research (DCSR) and The São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP)
Call for proposals for joint research collaboration under the Scientific Cooperation Agreement between Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo – FAPESP and the Danish Council for Strategic Research – DCSR. The agreement can be found at: www.fapesp.br/6365 (Portuguese) and www.fapesp.br/en/6366 (English) and here at http://fivu.dk.
FAPESP and the DCSR hereby invite researchers from universities, research institutions and private companies in the State of São Paulo, Brazil and Denmark who conduct research within the food science area, to apply for funding for joint Brazilian-Danish strategic research projects according to the current call.
The proposals must be prepared jointly by Brazilian and Danish researchers. In the State of São Paulo, Brazil, eligible applicants are researchers who comply with the Thematic Projects eligibility criteria. In Denmark, the call is open for any Danish proposers who comply with the DCSR criteria for eligibility.
For both regions it is of major importance to provide solutions within the field of food science in order to accommodate to the challenges related to “Bio-refinery" and/or “Food and Health”. The aim of this call is that the funded projects deliver considerable and tangible results at the end of the project period.
This call defines the terms and conditions for the submission of joint proposals. FAPESP and the DCSR will jointly support up to three research projects under this call.
This call is announced simultaneously by FAPESP and the DCSR at:
3. Research topics
This call invites joint research proposals within the following research topics:
A. New sources of bioactive compounds and new ingredients for functional and fortification purposes in foods.
B. Nutrigenomics impact on human health.
C. Biological non-food products from waste residues.
D. Healthy and sustainable food/meals based on animal, marine or plant components, with retained nutritional values, produced from emerging new technologies.
E. Innovative research within agriculture, food production, food processing and other biological production based on for example information and communication technologies, robotics, nanotechnology, biotechnology and/or user driven innovation.
F. Improved food and feed value chain by sustainable and efficient use of natural resources, production methods, systems and processes and technologies that minimize waste.
G. Research in safety and quality aspects related to perishable food products.
4. Funding principles and project duration
FAPESP and the DCSR expect to jointly fund up to three projects with a total amount (sum of costs charged to FAPESP and the DCSR) of around four million US dollars for all projects. Requested funding may cover research and travel expenses (for example payroll expenses, research training, equipment, travel costs, living allowances and insurance costs) according to each institution’s guidelines. The project volume should be the same on both sides. The duration of the proposed research projects in this call for proposals may be up to 48 (forty eight) months.
5. Proposal format
The research proposal submitted by both sides must be identical, with exception to any specific institutional requirements from either FAPESP or the DCSR (these are available locally, please refer to the respective institutional websites, according to sections 2 and 6 of this call). The proposal, submitted in English, must contain:
A. A summary of the Principal Investigators’ CV (both the Danish and the Brazilian Principal Investigators) with a maximum of two pages.
B. A detailed national budget worksheet for either FAPESP or the DCSR (according to institutional requirements). An overview of the partner’s budget has to be submitted to either FAPESP or the DCSR in addition to the detailed national budget.
C. A research project with a maximum of ten pages of scientific content, including the following items:
- Summary of the research project to which the proposal is related, including current and expected results.
- Description of the added value and synergy of the collaboration.
- Description of each researcher and institution involved on both sides.
- Description of the expected academic gains for the project as a result of the proposed collaboration.
- Details of the activities foreseen in the collaboration, including justification, relevance and impact.
- Description of the infrastructure and other financial resources available to the research project.
- Additional activities to the collaboration, i.e. seminars, short courses and visits to other research institutions.
- The timeline of the entire project.
- Possible actions to promote future participation in multinational projects.
6. Submission of proposals
Proposals must be submitted simultaneously to FAPESP (in paper form) and to the DCSR (E-application) following the guidelines below:
For proposers in Denmark through the E-application system provided here (Please remember to fill in the additional form “DSF Bilateral form”).
For proposers in the State of São Paulo, Brazil, in accordance with the detailed guidelines for Thematic Projects found at www.fapesp.br/176 (available only in Portuguese) as well as:
a) All proposals are to be sent to FAPESP in hard copy (paper form) at the following address: Rua Pio XI, 1500, Alto da Lapa, 05468-901 – São Paulo/SP, with “Chamada FAPESP-DCSR” written on the envelope and posted no later than the closing date.
b) The specific FAPESP forms for submitting proposals to this Call can be downloaded at www.fapesp.br/acordos/dcsr/forms.
No proposal will be accepted after the closing date for submission, nor will any addendum or explanation be accepted unless those explicitly and formally requested by FAPESP or the DCSR. Proposals submitted by any other means other than the E-application system in Denmark and hard copy (paper form) in the State of São Paulo will not be accepted.
7. Assessment criteria, evaluation and selection
FAPESP and the DCSR will select the proposals according to their respective institutional procedures and assessment criteria. The potential impact of the research and the quality of the research will be specially considered. As an additional joint assessment criterion, emphasis will be placed on how well integrated the project is. Only proposals selected and prioritized by both sides will be funded jointly. The final selection is to be decided by a joint committee with representatives from both FAPESP and the DCSR.
- The call is announced on the 4th of April 2013 at the websites of FAPESP and the DCSR.
- The closing date for the call is 1st of July 2013.
- The Principal Investigators of the selected proposals in Denmark will be notified directly by the DCSR in December 2013 and, at the same time, a list will be made public at the FAPESP website and individual communications to the Principal Investigators in São Paulo will be issued.
- The funded research projects are expected to start in early 2014.
- By the end of the project, no later than the beginning of 2018, the final report including a common evaluation of the project is to be submitted to both FAPESP and the DCSR.
All questions related to this call must be directed to:
Area Director – Scientific Directorate, Alexandre Roccatto
(The FAPESP e-mail above is no longer valid)