Agilent Technologies, Inc., the world’s premier measurement company, engages broadly in advancing research in the life sciences through sales of our measurement solutions, active academic collaborations, and financial support of academic and government research. Agilent intends to work in partnership with FAPESP to engage in academic research in the State of São Paulo, Brazil, and thereby both benefit from and contribute to Brazilian science while furthering Agilent’s long-term business interests.
FAPESP is the principal funding agency of the State of São Paulo for academic research. FAPESP wishes to increase the academic research participation in São Paulo of foreign high-technology companies, and in particular, to promote the active participation of Agilent Technologies, Inc. in academic research in São Paulo.
Agilent Technologies, Inc. and FAPESP therefore intend to cooperate in fostering Agilent’s engagement in academic research in São Paulo, through the Partnership for Technological Innovation.
Agilent Technologies, Inc. intends to contribute to this joint effort as follows:
1. Provide financial support in the amount of USD $200,000.
2. Specify topic areas for research of interest to Agilent and appropriate to university research in São Paulo.
3. Cooperate with FAPESP in the publication of requests for proposals and in the selection of research proposals to be funded.
4. Provide collaborative technical contribution to the work through Agilent Research Laboratories. 5. Endeavor to build good and long term relations with the academic research community in the State of São Paulo.
FAPESP intends to contribute to this joint effort as follows:
1. Provide 1:1 matching financial support for Agilent contributions.
2. Cooperate with Agilent Technologies, Inc. in the writing of requests for proposals, in provision for certain Agilent intellectual property rights, and in the selection of research proposals to be funded.
3. Organize and lead the RFP process to generate research proposals for review.
4. Administer grants to universities as selected by Agilent and FAPESP including reporting of results.
5. Foster and promote Agilent’s good relations within the academic research community in the State of São Paulo.
Agilent Technologies, Inc. and FAPESP hereby signify our intent to execute a formal agreement enabling this joint effort by July 31, 2011. This letter of intent is a non-binding document. While without definitive legal obligation, it summarizes the principal terms of a proposed agreement which is intended and under development between FAPESP and Agilent Technologies, Inc.
Signed this 1st day of June, 2011 by
William P. Sullivan, President and CEO
Agilent Technologies, Inc.