The São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), Brazil, and Inria, French National Institute for computer science and applied mathematics, signed a Cooperation Agreement for Research on 25 November 2016, aiming to implement scientific and technological cooperation between researchers from Inria, and from the State of Sao Paulo, Brazil, through the funding of joint research projects.
Under the referred Agreement, as a continuation of this fruitful collaboration, FAPESP and Inria make public this Call for Proposals for the exchange of faculty and postdoctoral researchers under the terms and conditions of FAPESP’s SPRINT 3rd Edition 2019 (http://www.fapesp.br/sprint/call32019), and of the Associate Teams Programme at Inria (https://www.inria.fr/en/europe-international/international-partnerships/partenariats-strategiques/associate-teams) and hereinafter set forth.
1. Eligibility from Inria side
1.1. Eligibility to submit proposals within the scope of this Call:
a. All PI-eligible investigators at Inria
1.2. Eligibility for the exchange activities within the scope of this Call
a. Principal and Co-Principal Investigators named on the project are eligible to participate in the exchange activities (primarily travel).
i. Other participants may include post-doctoral Fellows and PhD students where appropriate. Considering the principle of reciprocity, FAPESP exceptionally may either support PhD students from São Paulo state to take part in the scientific missions. In this case, the PhD student(s) must have an ongoing FAPESP fellowship during the planned exchange mission to the partner institution.
• The proposals must aim to respect the principle of reciprocity with regard to academic qualifications of those who will take part in the exchange activities. The number of participants from each side, the number of travels and the term of the visits must also be balanced between the teams.
• Eligibility of research partners in the State of São Paulo should observe Items 3.1 and 4.2 of the FAPESP call (http://www.fapesp.br/sprint/call32019):
a. Eligible to apply are Principal Investigators of ongoing research projects funded by FAPESP within the following FAPESP funding modalities: Regular Research Awards (excluding mobility projects), Thematic Projects, Young Investigators, Research, Innovation and Dissemination Centers (CEPIDs/RIDCs), Public Education Research Program, Research in Public Policies, and Research Partnership for Technological Innovation (PITE). Co-Principal Investigators of ongoing Thematic Projects, CEPIDs/RIDCs and PITEs are also eligible to apply.
b. For the exchange activities within the scope of this Call, eligible are the team members of the related ongoing research award described above in Item 3, when previously defined in the ongoing research project as:
i. Principal or Co-Principal Investigators;
ii. Associated Researchers affiliates to Higher Education and Research Institutions in the State of São Paulo.
2. Fields of knowledge
This Call for Proposals invites research proposals in computer science and applied mathematics.
3. Duration of the project for the exchange of researchers
The maximum duration of each project is 36 months.
Call announced by FAPESP and Inria
Inria: 16 July 2019
FAPESP: 30 July 2019
Closing date for submission of proposals
Inria: 26 September 2019 FAPESP: 28 October 2019
Successful proposals notified by
31 January 2020
5. Funding Principles
5.1. FAPESP will provide funding of up to the equivalent of €13,000.00 (thirteen thousand euro) per proposal and Inria will provide funding of up to €13,000.00 (thirteen thousand euro) per proposal, for a maximum of 3 years, for the duration of the grant to cover research-related mobility expenses, under the provisions of Article 1.2 of the Scientific and Technological Cooperation Agreement established by the Parties
6. Proposal Characteristics for Inria Researchers
The proposal shall be composed of:
6.1 Inria’s Submission Form, written in English jointly by the Principal Investigator at the Host Institution in the State of São Paulo and the Principal Investigator at Inria. One copy of the shall be sent to FAPESP (stated as Research Project on SAGe) and an identical copy to Inria.
a. Please note: There are additional documents required by the Brazilian PI. Please refer to the FAPESP Call (http://www.fapesp.br/sprint/call32019).
6.2 An Associate Team is created for a period of 3 years, and progress is monitored on a yearly basis by Inria’s European and International Partnerships Department. For that purpose, each Associate Team’s French coordinator must create and update a dedicated website, properly referenced from the Inria Project-team website. The Associate Team website presents the partners, scientific objectives, work program and accounts for the activities, exchanges, technological developments, joint publications and co-supervised PhD students and research generated by the team. A short report must be submitted annually that describes the progress of the work and requests a budget for the following year.
7. Submission of Proposals to Inria
Submissions can only be accepted by using the online application system at: https://drisi.inria.fr/eaEquipeAssociee/new.
8. Proposal Evaluation Criteria
Each submitted proposal will be reviewed based on the following major criteria:
• Team balance with regard to number of participants from each side, number of travels/trips, and the term/length of the visits.
• Qualifications and work balance between the PIs
• The potential of the PIs to successfully complete the proposed project
• Scientific excellence of the project (motivation of the general problems, identification of the main challenges, intended approaches/methodologies/ techniques).
• Balanced participation of researchers from various career stages and contribution to fostering young researchers’ participation.
• Relevance and consistency of the mobility and work program.
• Expected results and impact of the joint project for each partner (mutual advancement of research through the transfer of knowledge and expertise).
• Strategy to obtain other funding, in particular from the H2020 framework programme.
9. Result of the Analysis
The results will be announced on FAPESP (www.fapesp.br/en) and Inria web portals and by means of a communication to the interested PIs.
10. Contract for Selected Projects by Inria
Selected proposals will subject to the conditions as set forth in the letter of award.
11. Reporting Requirements
A final report of the seed grant activities will be expected at the end of the award period that summarizes the status of the project and presents evidence that they are seeking additional funding to continue the research program.
12. Grant Cancellation
FAPESP or Inria may cancel funding if, during the grant timeframe, a significant event justifies its cancellation in the assessment of the Joint Steering Committee, comprised of representatives from Inria and FAPESP, without prejudice of any other appropriate actions.
13. Information about this Call at Inria
All questions related to this Call for Proposals must be directed to:
Name Claire Saint-Léger