NEWTON FUND: FAPESP GUIDELINES FOR YOUNG INVESTIGATORS AWARD
FAPESP, CONFAP (National Council for the State Funding Agencies) and The UK Academies (The Academy of Medical Sciences, the British Academy, the Royal Academy of Engineering, and the Royal Society of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) signed a Memorandum of Understanding to encourage and support increased capacity in Brazil in the area of research and innovation (www.fapesp.br/8937).
Specifically for the Newton Fund opportunities, announced by CONFAP, applicants from the UK must adhere to the following guidelines concerning the submission of funding requests for support research under the FAPESP’s Young Investigator Award Program. These guidelines refer to the item 3 of the Annex 2 of the MoU (www.fapesp.br/8937).
a. The UK Academies, specifically the British Academy, the Academy of Medical Sciences and the Royal Society, will offer Newton International Fellowships and Newton Advanced Fellowships to the Brazilian research community, covering the fields of natural sciences, social sciences and humanities, and medical (including clinical and patient-orientated research) sciences. For further details, see Annex 1 of the MoU.
b. Specifically the British Academy, the Royal Society and the Royal Academy of Engineering, will also offer Mobility Grants to the Brazilian research community, covering the fields of natural sciences, social sciences and humanities, and engineering. For further details, see Annex 1 of the MoU.
c. The participating FAPs will offer scholarships, grants and mobility support to visiting researchers coming from the United Kingdom. Proposals in all areas of knowledge will be welcome. For further details, see Annex 2 of the MoU.
2. Young Investigators Award
FAPESP will offer an opportunity for young investigators from the UK to start a research career at a University or Research institution in the State of São Paulo through its Young Investigator Awards. The UK Academies will assist FAPESP in announcing the YIA opportunity to prospective post-doctoral fellows in the UK. Candidates shall submit proposals in the FAPESP Young Investigator Awards Program (www.fapesp.br/en/4479).
3. Eligibility and general conditions
The UK researcher must have a PhD or equivalent title and an outstanding research track record, and typically 2-5 years post-doctoral experience in a research group in the UK. For details about eligibility and other conditions, please consult www.fapesp.br/en/4479. Before starting elaborating the project, interested researchers must consult FAPESP regarding their eligibility, (please email firstname.lastname@example.org. After receiving the consultation, FAPESP will consult Newton Fund and answer to candidates within 20 days.
4. Funding conditions
A FAPESP Young Investigator Award comprises funds as described in details in www.fapesp.br/en/4479:
a. Equipment, consumables, services, and travel necessary to the 4-year research project.
b. A monthly fellowship for the Young Investigator of R$ 8.152,20 (tax-free) to be paid for up to four years or until he/she obtains a permanent position in a university or research institution in the State of São Paulo.
6. Submission of proposals to FAPESP
a.Proposals must be submitted to FAPESP through a customized path of the SAGe system (please, for additional guidelines regarding the online submission please consult Annex I) by the applicant before the deadline.
b. Proposals submitted by any other means will not be accepted.
c. No proposal will be accepted after the closing date for submission, nor will any addendum or explanation be accepted, unless those explicitly and formally requested by FAPESP.
d. All the documents required by SAGe platform must be attached to the online submission. Proposals lacking mandatory documents will be returned without merit review.
7. Analysis and selection
All valid proposals will be evaluated using the regular procedures from FAPESP for Young Investigator Awards.
8. Results of the selection
The results will be announced by FAPESP at www.fapesp.br.
9. Contract for selected projects
Selected proposals will be the object of a grant contract (at FAPESP) to be signed by the visiting UK researcher (Young Investigator) and a representative of the Higher Education and Research Institution to which he/she is affiliated.
10. Grant cancellation
FAPESP may cancel funding if, during the grant timeframe, a fact is of sufficient gravity to justify cancellation, at the discretion of the Scientific Director, without prejudice of any other appropriate actions.
11. Information about this Call for Proposals at FAPESP
The questions related to this Call for Proposals must be directed to Dra. Bruna Musa, e-mail email@example.com.
Annex I: Instructions for SAGe System (Guidelines for proposals submission on SAGe)
1. The Principal Investigator must be registered on SAGe system:
(I) Researchers who are not registered on SAGe must initially do so by accessing the SAGe page at www.fapesp.br/sage. Click on and then on “Not registered?”. Fill in the requested data. Attention: all the blank fields must be filled in to complete the registration.
(II) Researchers from the State of São Paulo who are already registered must log in to SAGe with the usual username and password.
2. On the home page, select on the menu “Shorcuts – Investigator's Tasks”, the option “New Proposal”.
3. On “Current Calls”, select and click on the link for this Call: UK Academies/CONFAP - Young Investigator Award / Call for Proposals (2017).
4. The system will display the menu “Add Proposal” on the following page in order to confirm the selected Call.
5. Click on the “Add” button to start the submission of your proposal.
6. Fill in the requested data on all tabs, including the list of documents to be attached.
7. Please notice that it is mandatory to fill in all items with a “*” mark. The project must be submitted by the end of the form. Saving the project does not imply in its submission. A successful submission will generate a process file number for the project.
8. If you have any doubts concerning Users Registration, please access the “Guides” link on the SAGe home page and search for elucidations on the User Registration guidelines.
9. IMPORTANT: It is strongly recommended to periodically check the pendent fields of the proposal using the “Validate” option on SAGe. By selecting this option, the system will display the hindrances to the proposal submission, considering the inserted items. This action can be repeatedly done as the filling of the proposal progresses, allowing the necessary corrections for submission to be performed in time. FAPESP provides assistance in case of doubts concerning the SAGe system through our Information Department (+55 11 3838-4000).
Attention: Since 01/11/2016, it is mandatory to attach a copy of the identification document of the Principal Investigator at the moment of the proposal submission. Please access the menu “Personal Information> Update Personal Information” and attach the requested document in the “Official Identification Document” in the section “Identification”. This obligation applies to all beneficiaries and Principal Investigators of fellowships and grants.