Memorandum of Understanding concerning Industrial Research Partnerships between the National Research Council of Canada and the São Paulo Research Foundation
The National Research Council of Canada (“NRC”), a “Departmental Corporation” forming part of the Government of Canada, incorporated by an Act of Parliament (R.S.C. 1985, c. N-15), and The São Paulo Research Foundation (“FAPESP”), established by Law nº 5.918, of October 18th, 1960, with headquarters at Rua Pio XI, 1500, Alto da Lapa, São Paulo, SP, enrolled in CNPJ/MF under nº 43.828.151/0001-45, herein represented according to Article 11(a) of Law nº 5.918, combined with its General Rule approved by Decree n° 40.132, of May 23, 1962, represented by its President, Prof. Dr. José Goldemberg, in the exercise of the powers delegated by Act of the Governor of the State of São Paulo, published in the Official Gazette of the State of August 22nd, 2015, hereinafter referred to as the “Participants”,
Acknowledging the Framework Agreement Between the Government of Canada and the Government of the Federative Republic of Brazil for Cooperation on Science, Technology and Innovation , done at São Paulo on 17 November 2008;
Considering the importance of promoting cooperation in scientific and technological research between Canada and the State of Sao Paulo, Brazil;
Wishing to strengthen their cooperation on the basis of equality and mutual benefit;
Wishing to collaborate in pursuing their shared goal of promoting technological innovation within companies in their respective countries;
Wishing to promote initiatives collaboration in scientific research and technological development in priority areas of interest to both Participants, fostering bilateral cooperation;
Wishing to promote and facilitate frequent ongoing interactions between the NRC Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP) and FAPESP and thus promote the creation of technological partnerships between Canadian and Brazilian companies in São Paulo;
Considering that NRC-IRAP offers a range of technical and advisory services in addition to financial support to growth-oriented small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Canada;
Considering that FAPESP has a well-established program to support research in small businesses (SB), in the State of São Paulo, entitled the FAPESP Innovative Research in Small Businesses (PIPE FAPESP).
Have come to the following understanding:
1. This Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) provides a framework for collaboration on promotion and facilitation of bilateral industrial Research and Development (R&D) projects, between SBs from the State of Sao Paulo in the State of São Paulo, Brazil, and SMEs from Canada.
2. The Participants understand that their collaboration will be established on the basis of a joint action plan.
3. (a) The Participants will establish a Steering Committee.
(b) The Participants will designate up to four representatives.
(c) The Participants understand that the Steering Committee will try to meet twice a year, in accordance with terms of reference to be determined by the Steering Committee.
(d) The terms of reference will define their shared goals and will allow follow up discussion. The Steering Committee will decide on a joint action plan.
4. Each Participant will designate a project leader in charge of the application of this MoU.
5. Each Participant will bear its own costs in carrying out the activities associated with this MoU.
Term of this MoU
6. This MoU will take effect on the date of its last signature by the Participants and will remain in effect for a period of five (5) years.
7. The Participants may extend this MoU for an additional five (5) years by mutual written consent.
8. The Participants may amend this MoU by mutual written consent.
9. Each Participant may terminate this MoU by giving the other Participant 90 days’ written notice.
Signed in duplicate at São Paulo, Brazil this 7th day of April 2016, in the English, French and Portuguese languages, each version being equally valid.
For the National Research Council of Canada
For São Paulo Research Foundation
ANNEX ONE: DRAFT ACTION PLAN
Define Terms of Reference
· Objectives and Performance Indicators;
· Nature of Projects and Participants;
· Nature of Funding;
· Establishing Priorities for Funding; and
Approve the Project Development Activity Strategy (with annual action plans), Partners and Targets
· Budget, support, themes, partner search, matchmaking, etc.
Define Project Call Process and Subsequent Monitoring
· Items included may be:
- overall criteria / themes;
- eligibility criteria;
- selection criteria;
- funding support;
- joint application information;
- national funding application information;
- evaluation and selection of projects;
- notification processes;
- consortium agreement requirements; or
- project initiation, monitoring and reporting.